Equine Facilitated Learning
Equine Facilitated Learning (EFL) is an experiential learning approach that promotes the development of life skills for educational, professional and personal goals through equine-assisted activities. PATH International provides standards of professionalism and safety for people working in the EAAT field and guidelines for those providing EFL.
In Summer 2016, we launched our first EFL pilot program by partnering with Boys and Girls Aid. During this four-week curriculum, we served over 15 youth who were between the ages of 16 and 18 and in the foster system. Our focus for this four-week curriculum was communication and group dynamics.
The group worked together to complete different tasks involving the horses. At the end of the four weeks, the group had gained skills around communication styles, body language, working with a horse individually as well as working as a group to complete tasks.
“This has been a once in lifetime experience for most of our youth.”
– Molly Regan, the program coordinator for Boys and Girls Aid
Benefits of EFL
- Promotes confidence and expertise needed to excel in a workplace environment
- Increases creative thinking and critical thinking
- Helps decision-making and problem-solving
- Improves communication and interpersonal skills
- Develops self-awareness and empathy
- Gain skills for coping with emotions and high stress situations
Help Us Expand
Your tax-deductible contribution really makes a difference. It allows for personal achievements and greater independence through hard work and determination. It provides opportunities to share, grow, and heal through our unique programs like EFL.
Register for EFL