Therapeutic Carriage Driving offers children and adults of all abilities the rewards of interaction and control of a horse, pony, or donkey while driving from a carriage seat or in their own wheelchair in a carriage modified to accommodate their wheelchair. Carriage Driving gives participants a riding alternative, opening up the world of horses to those who may be unable to ride due to weight, balance, fatigue, or other challenges.
Benefits of Carriage Driving
- Unique Movement Experience
- Alternative to Riding
- Team Skill Building
- Challenging Motor Sensory Skills With Distinct Range of Movements
- Exercising Independence
- Problem Solving
Our Carriage Driving Program is currently in its early stages. We are in the process of training our horses which can take up to a year. As we get the Carriage Driving Program up and running, we have opportunities available to help out.
- Become a Carriage Driving volunteer
- Take lessons in our Pilot Carriage Driving Program. We are currently taking able body teens and adults and some individuals with disabilities. Please inquire and we will assess on a case-by-case basis.
- Become a financial contributor to help the Carriage Driving Program grow. We need various harness sizes (must be new), various carriage vehicle styles and sizes, and miscellaneous items such as whips, whip holders, rainbow reins, driving gloves, and a storage shed. Let us know if you would like to sponsor or contribute to the program and purchase some of this vital equipment.
If you are interested in any of these opportunities please call our office at (503) 217-2058 or email us at email@example.com.